Pages

Triumph Dining Grocery Guide

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Donations for Celiac Survival Kits...helping the newly-diagnosed celiac navigate their new reality

Remember when you were first diagnosed...the uncertainty, the fear, the sorrow? I remember hanging up the phone after hearing my diagnosis, and bursting into tears. No pizza and pasta? WTF? I lost 10 lbs. the first month I was diagnosed, and I only weighed 98 lbs. at the time!

Then I read an inspiring book by Shauna James Ahern, "The Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back...And How You Can Too." This book was a life-changer. Ms. Ahern showed me that I could still eat well – still be a "foodie" – and enjoy food that wouldn't send me running for a bathroom and a bed, in that order.  She gave me hope – and hope is a beautiful thing. Now it's time for me to share as well.

Knowing that the newly-diagnosed celiac patient will likely have very little information and resources, I've started a project that I lovingly refer to as "Celiac Survival Kits." These kits will contain some GF staples such as cereal, pasta, baking mixes, a cookbook, and perhaps an informational book about CD. Already, three authors have pledged cookbook donations: Carol Kicinski from simplygluten-free.com and St. Martins Press; Elana Amsterdam from elanaspantry.com; and  Carol Fenster from savorypalate.com. I am beyond overjoyed that these amazing women have chosen to support Project Celiac Survival Kit.

Donations are most welcome, should any manufacturer, store, or author choose to support the project. I am hoping to get shelf-stable items such as cereal and cereal bars, pasta, baking mixes, GF flours, cookies, snacks, etc. Please email CeliacGirlRI@gmail.com with questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment