Pages

Triumph Dining Grocery Guide

Friday, October 26, 2012

Celiacs - I need your input!

I work for two local weekly newspapers, and I'm pitching an idea to my editor for a couple of articles in the Holiday Gift Guide of the newspaper for December. 

One is: gift ideas for celiacs
The other is: Gluten-free Holiday Dining challenges

LEND ME YOUR BRAINS

What would you think would be a great holiday gift for a celiac?

I've already thought of the following, but I would love you to add your own suggestions. Here's mine so far:

Gift certificates to GF restaurants
Gift certificates to natural/whole food stores
A subscription to one of the GF magazines
A GF cookbook or book on celiac
A visit to a nutritionist/dietitian
A GF gift basket from a bakery or online source
The Triumph Dining Guide
A food processor or mixer (a new one that's not contaminated with gluten)
GF beer or wine
GF cosmetics such as Red Apple Lipstick
A GF T-shirt
A GF "app" to find places to eat or shop

What would you like to get for Christmas that's celiac-related?

Also, what is the greatest challenge you face for holiday dining, whether it is cooking it yourself, eating at a relatives, or dining out?
Do you have well-meaning relatives who just don't get it, and get insulted or offended is you don't try their efforts? Do you have a recipe you'd like to share?

What is the most difficult thing you face about the holidays in general?
Food? Gifts? Visiting? Dining out? I'd love to hear your comments, and hopefully I can sell my boss lady on the idea for the articles. I'd love to have some recipes to go with the articles, to have some photos of GF items you couldn't imagine living without.  

HELP ME OUT HERE...

3 comments:

CeliacGirlRI, a.k.a. Karen Ingraham said...

Heidi emailed me to suggest adding "Cecelia's marketplace Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide" to the list.

Anonymous said...

Great idea for an article :)

Christmas presents: I definitely agree with a gluten-free magazine subscription or gluten-free gift basket. Also, a set of dedicated gluten-free pots/pans, colander, spatula, ladle, etc!

My friends and family have been really understanding. My boyfriend's family doesn't really get it though. We're having a holiday party and we want to prepare the food ourselves, completely so that it will be gluten-free. It's hard for people to understand that they can't bring their own dish. Comments like "Well I have IBS/Crohn's/random stomach condition, and I am able to have just a little bit of the offending food," demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge.

I have a gluten-free and allergen-free Chili recipe that was featured on Rudi's Gluten Free Bakery's blog (http://www.rudisglutenfree.com/2012/11/02/gluten-free-allergen-free-one-pot-chili-from-guest-blogger-amanda-mahoney/) that I love to make because it's so quick and easy and everyone loves it, regardless of whether they have food limitations or not. It's perfect for fall and winter but not specific to any holiday.

CeliacGirlRI, a.k.a. Karen Ingraham said...

Thanks so much for your input, Celiacandallergyadventures! It's hard to educate people on tolerance levels for a celiac...we have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy! Someone recently asked me why I didn't just eat the filling from the pumpkin pies that they brought to work. I try not to get mad or frustrated...they truly don't know. I DO, however, try to educate everyone that I can. My favorite thing to impart to celiacs: be your own advocate, and take responsibility for your own health. It helps to have a great gastro doc or an understanding family, but - ultimately - we are responsible for our own health, and we must be our own watch dog. Try to find the balance between raving bitch and door mat. Stand up for yourself, but try not to be rude. BTW, love your gift ideas as well. I'll have to check out your chili recipe!

Post a Comment